How can I avoid pain in my shoulders when I lift weights?

Sean McMillan, DO
Orthopedic Surgery
To avoid pain in your shoulders when you lift weights, stop at 90 degrees or at shoulder height. You don’t need to force your shoulders to go up over your head to get a good workout with weights. Use a much lower weight and a higher repetition for the workout, keeping it at shoulder height. In doing so, you limit the possibility of damaging your shoulder. You're not training for bodybuilding competitions in most instances. Instead you're trying to prepare your shoulder for day-to-day activities and for fun activities. Make sure you work all the muscles in your shoulder girdle and make sure you keep it at a safe level.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Shoulder pain can occur for many different reasons. The rotator cuff, joint capsule, labrum, or bursa may be compromised. You should first get evaluated to determine what is causing your shoulder pain, because exercises to avoid pain will vary greatly depending on the type of injury. Many people suffer from impingement syndrome which is an inflammatory response to the structures at the top of the shoulder. Often these structures are exacerbated with movements above 90 degrees or overhead. Try performing exercises no higher than shoulder height as this will prevent from further damaging in aggravating the tissue at the top of the shoulder.

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Lifting weights can hurt your shoulders if the weights are too heavy or your hands are positioned too high. I teach with light hand weights, sometimes no weights at all, just resistance and lots of repetition. I keep the hands lower than the shoulders for many exercises, especially for anyone with shoulder discomfort. Keeping the hand grip gentle, or open, translates up the arm to a more relaxed shoulder. These cues help my clients keep their shoulders relaxing away from the ears.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.