Is the constant spiking I see with my heart rate during HIIT training safe?

HIIT is supposed to be intense and you should be exercising at the upper end of your maximum heart rate (MHR) zone, which can be dangerous unless you are highly conditioned. Like any exercise program, you should consult your doctor before starting any HIIT program.  With the HIIT program it is highly recommended that you have a good cardio and strength base before starting. When working on your base program you can also start to monitor your heart rate and adjust your personal heart rate zones so you understand what your body can handle and recover from. Once you have your heart zones, use these to monitor the HIIT program. Having your heart rate spike because of the high intensity is safe if you have the base and you know what peak heart rate you should reach during the workout. More important is to watch how your body recovers in the rest periods of HIIT. The heart rate is fine if it spikes as long as it recovers quickly. When the heart rate recovery starts to slow down, this is a sign that you have trained hard enough that day and you need to take time to recover for the next workout.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.