What is the fastest way to gain muscle mass?

To increase muscle mass (hypertrophy) you will have to incorporate a resistance training program that progressively increases intensity (between 75-85% of 1 repetition maximum) and volume (progress from 3 sets of 12 repetitions to 5 sets of up 6 repetitions) and uses minimal rest periods (0-60 seconds). The combination of these will force the muscles to adapt by growing larger. Nutrition is also a big concern when wanting to gain muscle mass. It is recommended that a person trying to increase lean body mass take in between 1.6-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day while in an adaptation phase. This slight increase will help to meet the increasing protien demands of the muscle tissue. Carbohydrates should make up anywhere from 50-70% of your total calorie intake, and fat be around 10-30% of total calorie intake. When increasing calories, sometimes it is best try and spread the calories out over five or six meals.
Chris Embry
Fitness

When looking to increase muscle mass, it is helpful to focus on compound lifts that allow you to move a larger amount of weight. Exercises such as bench presses, rows, squats, deadlifts, dips, pull-ups, and overhead presses are multi-joint exercises that each work multiple muscle groups. The squat and deadlift in particular can work up to 70% of your body’s overall muscles and can also increase hormone production that signals your body to grow all over. It is helpful to start your routine with the compound lifts that create more stress to your system and then finish with isolation exercises such as curls, leg extensions, tricep pushdowns, and calf raises.

The fastest and best way to gain muscle mass is to start a resistance training program (lifting weights) and make sure you are eating the right foods at the right frequency. And don't forget about proper rest.

This formula requires success in three separate areas:

• Lifting weights
  • Nutrition
  • Rest

If you are lagging behind on any one of these areas your success in gaining muscle mass will be hindered.

You will not get bigger if you do not lift and provide your body with a reason to grow bigger and stronger.

If you do not feed your body, you cannot grow!

Let me ask you a simple question to make you understand this concept.

Can you build a house without lumber?

No. Plain and simple. It's not going to happen.

So........ How can you expect to build your body without food?

But it's a little more complicated than that.

It has to be the right foods, and you have to eat and fuel your body at the right times and right frequency in order to get the best results from all your hard work.

And last but certainly not least in the formula for success is rest. By rest I mean two things.

First, get enough rest at night while you sleep. You should try to get 8 hours of sleep every single night.

And second, don't over train and burn yourself out. Your body not only needs to rest at night while you are sleeping, but it needs to rest in between your workouts too.

So do this...workout two days then take a day off to rest. If you follow this schedule or something similar that allows rest days in your week, you will be on track to making the largest muscle gains in the shortest time period.

Good luck and remember always to have fun working out!

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Transform Your Body in Three Easy Moves
Transform Your Body in Three Easy Moves
One of the hardest things about exercise isn’t that it’s hard, or that it makes you sweaty. It’s that it’s so difficult to know whether you’re making ...
How do I perform a ball all fours opposite arm/opposite leg raise?
Position yourself on all fours on top of a stability ball with the middle of the ball placed dir...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
How Can I Exercise If I Have a Knee Injury?