Should I continue to perform leg lifts even though they hurt my back?

Brian Yee
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
No. Leg lifts can put extraneous load through your low back. Especially when it causes pain. Depending on your pain levels, there are modified ways to stabilize your legs and core without putting so much torque through your body.
Absolutely not!! Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. Stop performing these exercises and Find a Sharecare Professional to help!

No! Anytime you feel pain during an exercise you should stop performing that exercise and check with a fitness professional as to what you may be doing wrong. If modifying the exercise does not help, seek a medical professional because there may be an underlying cause to your pain. Minor soreness can be expected when starting a fitness program; however, back pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

How Interval Training Can Lower Your RealAge
In his memoir Dream Weaver, musician Gary Wright describes how as a youth in New Jersey, he was taught to swim by Olympic gold medal swimmer and Tarza...
When doing lat pull-downs, should the bar go in front of or behind my head?
When performing lat pull-downs, you should pull the bar in front of the head and down toward the...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
Tips for Cold-Weather Workouts
Tips for Cold-Weather Workouts