Should I continue to perform leg lifts even though they hurt my back?

Absolutely not!! Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. Stop performing these exercises and Find a Sharecare Professional to help!

No! Anytime you feel pain during an exercise you should stop performing that exercise and check with a fitness professional as to what you may be doing wrong. If modifying the exercise does not help, seek a medical professional because there may be an underlying cause to your pain. Minor soreness can be expected when starting a fitness program; however, back pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong.

Brian Yee
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
No. Leg lifts can put extraneous load through your low back. Especially when it causes pain. Depending on your pain levels, there are modified ways to stabilize your legs and core without putting so much torque through your body.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Try This 10-Minute Low-Impact Workout
Try This 10-Minute Low-Impact Workout
Medically reviewed in August 2018.
What exercises can I do in my pool?
You've heard it time and again: water exercise is a great way to build fitness, flexibility and stre...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
Transform YOU: Floor Bridge
Transform YOU: Floor Bridge