How can I build my quads without using weights?

Building your quads without using weights could prove to be a difficult task, because in order to stimulate growth, or “hypertrophy,” the muscle needs to work against an increased resistance and volume.

If you’re looking to use an alternative to traditional “weights,” other implements like medicine balls, water jugs, sandbags, etc. serve as appropriate replacements! The key is to be creative, and not limit yourself to a traditional setting!

There are some great exercises you can do without using weights to build up your Quads. Some good exercises are dynamic squats, static squats and lunges.      

Dynamic Squats: stand with your feet shoulder width apart. You can cross your arms or keep them to your side. Draw in your bellybutton in towards your spine and engage your glutes.  Squat down keeping your back as erect as possible. Make sure you stay predominatly on your heels and your knees cap lines up with your second toe(make sure the knee doesn't pass over the foot). Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.  

Static Squats: Use the same procedure as above, except when you squat down hold on the bottom of the squat( you may use a wall to lean up against) for 20 seconds. Do 3 sets.  

Lunges: start with your feet shoulder width apart. Draw your belly button in towards your spine and contract your glutes. Take a large step foward keeping your back as straight as possible. Keeping you foward foot flat & knee straight squat down until your knee is approximatly 1-2 inches from the ground( do not let your knee hit the ground) do 10 reps on one leg and then switch legs and do 10 reps on that leg. Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps each leg.  

I have the exercise for you and you will be burning in NO time. Come onto all fours with your hands under shoulders and knees under hips. With slightly bent elbows and a straight line from the top of your head to your tailbone, lift your knees one inch of the ground hold while you say out loud the alphabet backwards. Then sway your knees side to side while you count out loud backwards from 100 subtracting 3 and saying those #'s out loud, then bounce one inch up and down for a minute. Now your quads should be cooking.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.