How can I build my chest at home if I bored with push ups?

The first question I have for you, are you doing standard push-ups?  If the answer is yes then I have quite a selection of variations for you to try. 

• Elevated push-up – Elevate your feet onto a platform of some sort and complete your push-ups.  This elevation will shift your center of gravity and force your body to work slightly differently
  • Close-grip push-ups – When completing these, lower your body with your elbows as close to your body as possible.  When you push back up, you will be driving up through your triceps
  • Stability ball push-up – Grab a stability ball and complete push-ups with your hands on the ball, this will require your triceps to truly work to keep yourself balanced.  Another variation will be to have your feet on the ball which is similar to elevated push-ups but I imagine you will notice a difference

These are just some of the many variations of push-ups.  However, if you have been trying all of these variations then let me know so I can assist you’re further.

If you have free weights (dumbbells) and a stability ball, a great alternative to pushups that very effectively works your chest (pectorals) as well as improves your stabilization ability is the ball chest press.

A great explanation and visual of this exercise is provided by the National Academy of Sports Medicine if you follow this link: http://www.sharecare.com/question/how-perform-chest-2-arms

If you want a variation and would like to add a level of difficulty, try alternating your arms when you perform this exercise.

You can attach exercise tubing into a door jam and do standing chest presses for an alternative chest exercise. Dumbbell chest presses are an even better idea. There are several different positions that you can use the dumbbells from if you do not have an exercise bench. You can; lie on the floor, put your back on a stability ball and hold a bridge position with your hips or use even use an ottoman like an exercise bench for your upper back and hold a bridge position with your hips. If your only option is doing push-ups, then change how you do them. Stagger your hands with one hand slightly forward of the other. Switch halfway through your set or alternate positions each set. Place one hand on a medicine ball or foam roller to challenge your shoulder stabilizers. If you can hold your core tight and body straight then try and lift one leg while you do your push-ups. If you have an exercise ball then you can do push-ups with your hands on the ball. To make this more difficult put your thighs or feet on the ball with your hands on the floor.  Push-up handles are an inexpensive tool to add to your chest building arsenal too.  You can also change the number of repetitions and sets that you do. Resting longer or shorter in between sets is another easy way to mix things up along with moving faster or slower during the push up. Try lowering down to the floor slowly and pressing back up quickly or vice versa. Regardless of your chest exercise remember to stabilize your core by engaging your abdominals and glutes.

If you have  rubber tubing or a theraband; you can do flys and chest press. Simply slide the band or tube through a door jam, pull the band until its got some tension. Stand away from the door. make sure your standing erect. Pull your belly button into your spine and contract your glutes. Keep your arms as straight as you can and your palms facing each other bring them together and sqeeze for approximately 2 seconds and return to the starting position. Chest press is similar. Using the same set up, this time bend your elbows so they are approximately 90 degrees bent. Pull your belly button into your spine and contract your glutes. Press your arms straight in front of your body. Hold for a second and return to starting position. Try doing 3 sets for 12-15 reps each. If you can do more then 15 reps, increase the band resistance.
Come into upper push-up position, drop your left elbow down, then right elbow. Come back to left hand, then right hand. Do 10x, then drop with your right elbow first. Try doing push ups with a wide grip 10 seconds down and 10 seconds up. Can you clap between every normal push-up? If so give me 20.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

Types Of Exercise Programs

From walking to engaging in team sports, exercise comes in many forms. Aerobics, stretching, weightlifting and endurance training are some of the types of exercise that produce health benefits and enjoyment. With each type of exer...

cise, proper technique and posture is critical in preventing injuries while achieving maximum health results.