What are the benefits of interval training?

Tracy Kuzava, RDN
There is some good research coming out talking about interval training. That's where you're hitting it really hard for a set amount of time and then you have a relaxation point for a short time and then you go at it again. I think people find it a little bit easier because they feel an end in sight. It's not hard core for 30 minutes. It may be two minutes or three minutes of higher intensity exercise and they feel like they can get through that two or three minutes to have a relaxation period.

Interval training is beneficial because it can save time when compared to traditional exercise protocols, help break fitness plateaus by making the body work harder than it is accustomed to, and prevent boredom within an exercise program. Since the exerciser is forced to constantly change the intensity at which he or she is exercising, it helps time appear to move faster and provides faster results.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

The No-Workout Workout
The No-Workout Workout
Ah, the end of another busy day. Your workday is over, your errands are done, and dinner is slowly digesting in your belly. You sit back on the couch ...
What exercise will help me lift my glutes?
Deb Froehlich , NASM Elite TrainerDeb Froehlich , NASM Elite Trainer
Single leg dead lifts, split squats, lunges, brides and single leg squats are all excellent exercise...
Do-Anywhere Workout Plan
Do-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout PlanDo-Anywhere Workout Plan
This 14-move, excuse-proof workout is perfect for you.
4 Ways to Avoid Workout Injuries and Burn More Calories