Are shrugs a safe exercise?

Shrugs can be a very good exercise for developing strength in your shoulders and trapezius muscles (muscles of your upper back), and can be a safe exercise when performed correctly. However, if you have preexisting tightness in your neck or experience neck/shoulder pain during this exercise, alternative shoulder exercises such as a dumbbell scaption may be a better option.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Winter Fitness Alternative for Walkers and Runners
Is winter weather disrupting your walking or running routine? Try snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. Both offer all-body and aerobic workouts with m...
The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Cross-Training for Runners and Walkers
It’s no secret—runners love to run. Got an extra 15 minutes? To a runner, that’s enough time to lace up and grab a mile or more. And while running or ...
Do I have to sweat for exercise to count?
Do I have to sweat for exercise to count? The idea that you have to sweat to benefit from exercise i...
5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside
5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside5 Moves for a Summer-Ready Backside
Get your butt in gear with these simple and fun exercises. Don't tell us. We know. Summer's here, so there's no more hiding behind bulky sweaters and...