Can I go above my fat burning zone if I find it too easy?

Go right ahead. You will burn more calories and total fat per unit of time. The fat burning zone comes from sport training. If you are an endurance athlete that has to be able to keep running or cycling for several hours, it is important that you not adopt a pace that is too intense. Doing so will cause you to burn through your body’s carbohydrate stores too quickly. This is what runners call "hitting the wall" or "bonking." No one ever runs out of stored fat, but with a lack of glucose in the body, you cannot use that fat, and movement comes to a screeching, staggering halt. Cardio done for weight loss is different. You want to work out at a level that lets you burn a significant number of calories for a useful period of time. Workout too hard and you can not do the exercise long enough to make a difference. Too low of an intensity and you will have to go a lot longer to make the calories add up. Ultimately, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn, or you will never lose fat.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise Programs

Try This 10-Minute Low-Impact Workout
Try This 10-Minute Low-Impact Workout
Medically reviewed in September 2020.
What can I do if exercising has made my neck muscles big and bulky?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
If you are getting bulky muscles at the sides of the neck and top of the shoulder, you are proba...
Why You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in Hawaii
Why You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in HawaiiWhy You Should Exercise Outside and 5 Outdoor Workouts to Try Today in Hawaii
Hawaii’s year-round sunshine makes it the perfect climate to play in the sun while burning calories. One of the benefits to living in the tropics is c...
What Is a Workout I Can Do That Takes Less Than 10 Minutes?