Why should I do the windshield-wipers exercise?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The windshield wipers exercise is great for restoring normal range of motion and motor control to the hip joint and muscles. It also develops lower abdominal strength to stabilize the pelvis during leg movements. It will loosen and stretch the tensor fascia lata (TFL) and rectus femoris as well.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

The windshield wipers exercise is designed to activate the core stabilizing muscles, specifically the obliques and the rectus abdominus muscle. The exercise also causes muscle activation of the gluteal muscles to help stabilize the hip. This muscle exercise is beneficial for those with low back pain as the core activation component helps stabilize the spine.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How should I do standing rows?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do standing rows: Reps: 10 Sets: 1-3 Intensity: Moderate Tempo: 3-1-3 Rest: 30-90 s...
How do I perform a ball seated shoulder press with 2 arms?
Hold two dumbbells in your hands, let them hang down at your sides and keep your palms facing in tow...
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?