If you exercise three times a week for about 45 minutes each, you can reap the same emotional benefits as someone taking an antidepressant, researchers say. Walking, gardening, doing housework, and bicycling each release a lot of endorphins, or calming, mood-boosting hormones. So does laughter, looking at art and thinking positive thoughts.
- Q How does exercise affect serotonin levels?
- Q Why do I feel like eating after I exercise?
- Q What is the principle of progressive overload?
- Q Why do my neck muscles feel tight after a shoulder workout?
- Q Why should I strengthen my muscles if I have back pain?
- Q Will the type of physical activity I choose, affect my fitness results?