If you exercise three times a week for about 45 minutes each, you can reap the same emotional benefits as someone taking an antidepressant, researchers say. Walking, gardening, doing housework, and bicycling each release a lot of endorphins, or calming, mood-boosting hormones. So does laughter, looking at art and thinking positive thoughts.
- Q Can exercise affect my genes?
- Q What is a runner's high?
- Q How can physical activity improve my health?
- Q What can I do if I work out all the time but don't see the results I want?
- Q Can I still workout if I am sore?
- Q How do mild stretches and exercises help my body?