What is spinning?

Bernadette Anderson
Family Medicine

Indoor cycling, also known as “spinning,” is an energetic, effective way to burn unwanted calories. You will stand, jump, climb and sprint into fitness. As its popularity increases, more innovative styles of indoor cycling are emerging, making it a more challenging experience that helps shed pounds and reduce stress. 

Clip into the pedals, saddle in, and discover the “411” on indoor cycling. Bring in some headwind as you burn 600 calories or more on this tour! It involves forty-five minutes to an hour of various combinations of moves on a stationary bike. While an enthusiastic instructor and motivating music set the momentum for the ride, you determine the intensity. 

The instructor creates visuals for the course by directing cyclists to vary the resistance and their position on the bikes. The goal is to simulate either a flat road, a steep hill, or whatever terrain you decide to travel on. Indoor cycling classes are designed to promote strength, interval, or endurance training. As you navigate through the ride, your hand placement and body positioning on the bike changes. Before deciding if you are a spinster, try a few classes!

There is definitely a new era in indoor cycling! Once considered a lower body activity that required powering through the legs while using the upper body only for balance, indoor cycling has shifted gears. The addition of resistance bands and weights have elevated this fitness activity to a total body workout. Some spinning bikes acutally move and transform the entire body while simulating an outdoor ride. 

Studios combine cycling classes with yoga, barre method, and other predominately stretching and toning exercises to take advantage of heated muscles in sculpting a lean body. Moreover, cycling studios allow the customers to take a break from the traditional gym and enjoy the art of cycling in high-tech specialized settings. 

Watching legs move at 100 rotations per minute can detour most people from signing up for the Tour de France. I too was hesitant about indoor cycling. By my second class, I was addicted. Warning: indoor cycling shows no mercy on the buns, but after a few rides it won’t bother you. Adding indoor cycling to my workout has contributed to me dropping over one hundred pounds! Rev up the metabolism and burn that fat!

Whatever your reason for upgrading your fitness profile, indoor cycling can help you achieve your goals. Clip in, saddle up, and ride on.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.