What should I do if I’m sore from exercise?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

Relax and don't worry. The discomfort will go away. Rest is appropriate, of course. To speed the recovery process or ease the discomfort, gentle massage and heat will help, as will an over-the-counter analgesic such as aspirin or a nonaspirin substitute.

Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Soreness from exercise, often called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS, occurs when the body is unaccustomed to an activity or exercise. If you experience muscle soreness, rest the affected muscles to allow them to heal and remodel. Very light stretching will also be beneficial in reducing muscle soreness. That said, the best way to minimize DOMS is to progress gradually and begin with low-intensity exercise before engaging in hard, intense training.  

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a seated shoulder press with both arms?
Sit on a bench with your feet pointed straight ahead and your feet placed flat on the floor.  Hold d...
How do I perform a single leg dumbbell row single arm?
Stand on one leg with your foot pointed straight ahead.  Draw-in your navel and bend at your waist u...
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?