What personal fitness plan should I follow?

You should follow a fitness plan that is catered to you, and not someone else. It should contain goals that are SMART, and each thing you do should put you one step closer to reaching your goals. Below is a summary of SMART goals.

SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and TimeSensitive.

• Specific – the goal set should be very specific – not broad.
  • Measurable – it should be measurable so you can gauge your progression.
  • Attainable – it should be reachable.
  • Realistic –  the goal should be realistic.
  • Time Sensitive – it should have a reasonable but aggressive timeframe.
Brian Floyd
Fitness

When starting a fitness program it is always best to sit down with a highly qualified personal trainer to map out your goals and specific needs. A lot of times workouts in magizine don't take inconsideration of your specific needs and previous or current injuries.  Sometimes the exercises are more advance  for the novice individual which could result to injury.  Remember what worked for one person may not work best for the next individual.  

By sitting down with a fitness professional they can help you reach your goals more effectively and safer. A fitness program should alway  include cardio, resistance training, flexibility, balance training, core strengthening and nutritional guidance.  By having a customized workout plan this will allow you to stay motivated, hold you accountable and allow you to be more successful in reaching your goals.  

The personal fitness plan that one should follow is a plan that is customized to the physical level, and the limitations for each individual, this will not only ensure safety but will maximize results.  

Wow-this question is a big one.  There are many things to consider when choosing the appropriate fitness plan.  Aside from the wide variety of programs to choose from an individual must first ask themselves a few preliminary questions to find the right program.  Some of these questions may be:

What are my fitness goals?

What type of plan will keep my attention and keep me motivated?

Which type of plan will I actually do on a regular basis?

What is my current physical conditioning?

What type of help might I need along the way? (personal trainer?)

Answering these types of questions honestly will help you better choose the appropriate program.  Often when individuals are not entirely honest with themselves before choosing a fitness plan they choose the wrong plan and find themselves unmotivated or overwhelmed.  Not to sound cheesy but 'Honesty is always the best policy'.

You shouldn't necessarily follow any personal fitness plan but what's helpful is to come up with one of your own (with help from a fitness professional is needed) that is fun, enjoyable, fulfilling, and worthwhile for you. Many people have a misconceived notion about 'what a fitness plan' should be: weights & treadmills. That does not have to be your choice. 

Think back when you were a kid. What physical activity did you do that you really enjoyed? For example, if you loved rollerskating as a kid, as an adult you could roller skate or rollerblade and right outside your home with very little equipment with or without others.  

The more customized and individualized a fitness program is towards you and your specific goals the better. There are many “one size fits all” fitness programs out there such as fitness books and videos, but you really should look into something that addresses all of your specific needs and objectives. Working with a fitness professional either face to face or virtually through online coaching are a few ways to do this safely and effectively.  Their guidance can help ensure that the information and instruction you are receiving is reliable and science based. Plus, the added motivation and accountability will help you to adhere to a fitness plan on a long-term basis, not just a few weeks.

Your personal fitness plan will be as unique as you are! Your fitness goal is your own. Although your goal may have a common thread, like losing weight, you may have a unique reason you want to, need to, reach your goal.

What is your goal?

The first thing you should establish is your fitness goal. Some goals may include weight loss, general health, improving athletic performance or just looking good in a swimsuit!

Why is this a goal for you?

A goal like 'looking good' may sound a bit shallow, but maybe it's much deeper than that. If I asked why looking good is your goal, we may have a giggle for a bit. But when I prod, 'why do you feel the need to look good', you may get serious and something deeper groans inside. Perhaps you were teased as a child about being shaped funny, or someone in your family made a hurtful comment about 'letting yourself go', or you just found out from your doctor that you have a health risk.

Dig deep, find your reason and let that motivate you.

What are your physical abilities or limitations?

It's important that you determine your own health before you plan a fitness program. Knowing your limitations will help you plan correct exercises, keep you from injury and ensure your success in the long run. A general physical from your doctor is the best way to do this.

Map out a realistic time frame to reach your goal

Consider your physical condition, how it relates to your goal, and the typical time frame for reaching this goal. Having this information will help you map out your journey. 

Plan your fitness program

Plan how many days you will commit to exercise. Include cardio, strength and flexibility training in your program. I also encourage corrective exercises, if necessary, and balance training.

Don't forget nutrition

Nutrition and fitness go together! Take time to find or plan a nutrition program too. Write down what you plan on eating for the week, then track what you actually ate.

Get into the habit of journaling

Planning helps establish the boundaries of your goals and the time frame of reaching those goals, while journaling helps track where you are within your plan.

Seek assistance

A fitness coach can help you get started. Take advantage of what a health coach at HFPN has to offer. We are here to encourage and motivate to help you stick with your plan.

Kelly Traver

When you design your own personal fitness program, you need to think about the three basic components: cardiorespiratory, strength, and flexibility. The Basic Fitness Plan below incorporates all of these basic components to keep you healthy no matter what your age.

Cardiovascular Activity (increases fitness level):

• Walk at a brisk pace or do some other moderate-intensity aerobic exercise every day for 30 minutes.
  • Eventually, add on 20 to 30 minutes of higher-intensity aerobic exercise three times a week.

Resistance (increases strength):

• Do 15 minutes of resistance exercises two to three times a week on nonconsecutive days.
  • If you want to increase your muscle mass, you can increase the duration, frequency, and resistance.

Stretching (increases flexibility):

• Stretch for at least 5 minutes every day.
  • For added benefit, you can increase the duration of the stretching period.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.