What should I do if I don't have enough time for exercise?

If you don't have enough time for exercise, think about your day -- do you have available time slots?

Do as much as you can. Every step counts. If you're just starting out, start with 10 minutes a day and add more little by little. Work up to 10 minutes at a time, three times a day. You can also try for 15-minute spurts twice a day.

Make physical activity part of your daily routine. For example, walk or bike to work or to the store, exercise while you watch TV, take the stairs instead of the elevator, or do something active with your family to spend time together.

Since 1995 the common recommendation has been that adults obtain at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on 5 or more days a week, for a total of at least 150 minutes a week.

Remember that 30 minutes does not have to be consecutive. So you can add exercise as part of your busy lifestyle.

You can go for a brisk 15 minute walk before breakfast and after dinner. Many employers now encourage walking meetings, so instead of sitting at a desk, why not discuss work initiatives during a walk. Instead of sitting in a lunch room, or at your desk, eat lunch then go for a walk for the remainder of your work hours. 

During the evening hours, instead of watching TV from the couch, do sit-ups and push-ups during commercial breaks. During the show, do lunges and squats to work the legs. If you do this through two TV shows you will be getting a good workout. The bottom line, you can always find ways to add exercise into  activities of daily living.  

Sadie Lincoln
Fitness
I am a huge fan of 10 minutes at a time. Studies are showing that short workouts spread throughout day are just as effective as a full 30 minute or longer workout done all at once.  When cramped for time, try doing a few seated core exercises while at your desk.  Take a quick walk during lunch or see if you can sneak in a few push-ups or squats every hour. Finding little ways to work the body throughout the day when busy is a great way to stay energized and maintain your fitness levels when you are cramped for time.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
What should I keep in mind while giving up exercising for performance?
If you are an athlete who is coming into the off season, or considering taking a break from your res...
How do I do a front step-up, balance to overhead press with alternate-arms?
Stand in front of a box with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart.  Hold...
Why Is Stretching Important?
Why Is Stretching Important?