What are the benefits to working out on an empty stomach?

Waking up after an eight-hour fast, the body’s stored glycogen (muscle fuel) is somewhat depleted. Doing cardio in this state improves one's body’s ability to burn fat because the lack of available glycogen forces the body to use fat as fuel. A study at Kansas State University published in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise demonstrated that subjects burned a kilogram (2.2 lb) of fat sooner when they exercised in a fasted (empty-stomach) state in the morning than when they did it later in the day or in the evening.

Don’t do a long, intense workout or a weight workout on an empty stomach, but a light to moderate cardio routine first thing in the morning may be a great fat-burning kickstarter.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a hurdle jump to bounding?
Stand in front of a hurdle with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart.  L...
How do I perform Speed Ladder: Single Leg Skier?
Balance on one leg on the side of the speed ladder. Hop diagonally forward into the ladder. Next...
How Do I Perform a 1-Hand Medicine Ball Push-Up?