Why is water exercising a good option for people with pain?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
If you find that exercising on land increases joint or muscle pain, check out water aerobics and stretching programs at your “Y” or fitness center. Many women with fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteoporosis, and back or neck pain find water exercises help them to stay fit and decrease pain. Because fibromyalgia is associated with soft tissue problems, water exercise reduces the amount of pressure on these areas. Make sure you exercise in a warm water pool (about 83 to 88 degrees Fahrenheit), to help warm muscles and joints and decrease pain.

Swimming is a great form of exercise for any and all individuals. The impact is extremely low and the benefits are very high. When exercising in the water, you are able to complete strength training that you would complete on land but with added resistance, water. The next time you step in a pool, run as fast as you can and see how far you get in 10 seconds. Many people would be able to cover a great distance in 10 seconds but in the water, you are not going to get nearly as far.

Water aerobics will also be very beneficial to your body. You will be able to complete forms of strength training with minimal impact on your body. Your ultimate resistance will be the water. The more effort you put in and the more resistance that will be generated.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a tubing chest press?
Stand with your back to a tubing anchor, keeping your feet straight and placed shoulder-width apart....
How do I perform a bench incline plank?
Get in a push-up position with your feet together on the floor and hands placed shoulder-width a...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?