What types of exercise should I do if I have a sedentary lifestyle?

Meeting the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) guidelines for exercise is an important step in minimizing the effects of a sedentary lifestyle. The basic recommendations are categorized by cardiorespiratory exercise, resistance exercise, flexibility exercise and neuromotor exercise.

When it comes to exercise, the benefits far outweigh the risks. A program of regular exercise is essential for most adults. Though exercise does protect against heart disease, it is still possible for active adults to develop heart problems. Poor behavior choices such as sitting for long periods of time have been shown to be a major health risk in itself.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

How do I perform a single leg squat with cable assistance?
Stand on one leg with foot pointed straight ahead and our knee slightly bent. Hold one cable in ...
How do I perform a standing cable pulldown, 2 arms?
Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and knees slightly bent.  Grab a cable in each hand with...
How do I perform a ball lying external rotation?
Lie on your stomach on top of a stability ball with your legs extended and toes on the ground.  draw...
How do I perform a tubing shoulder press?
Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder width apart.  Hold handles, one in e...