Should I see a doctor before I start exercising?

Yes, always consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program, especially if you are taking any medication, have been diagnosed with a chronic disease (high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoporosis etc.) or suffer from joint pain. Your doctor can help suggest safe and reasonable exercises.

I also advise all people going into a gym to find a certified personal trainer that they can sit down and at least have a consultation with.  During a proper evaluation / consultation a trainer will put you through a health history screening and other things which reviews possible health considerations, joint and bone problems and either a history of health problems or a family history.

It is the job of a trainer to defer to a doctor if they feel the person is at some sort of medical risk.  If someone is even at a moderate health risk, getting a doctors permission to exercise is wise.  

Make sure and see a certified trainer and make sure they do a proper health screening during the evaluation.  If the trainer sees any red flags they then should refer you on to your doctor before you can begin a regular exercise program.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.