I have no time to go to a gym for exercise, what can I do to stay healthy?

After working in a gym for 12 years I can tell you for a fact: You do not have to work out in a gym to be healthy. Health and fitness is a lot more than just being a member of gym.  The National Academy of Sports Medicine recommends we get at least 30 minutes per day of cardio exercise for general health. This can easily be achieved outside, aound your neighborhood, in a park, or if you own a piece of cardio equipment in your home.

If you have a more challenging fitness or weight loss goals, you may require 20-60 minutes per day of cardio and also incorporate resistance training into your routine. Fortunately, all of this can be accomplished without stepping foot into a health club.  Most people can easily equip their homes with enough fitness equipment to reach almost any health and fitness goal.  With the appropriate equipment, a garage, basement or extra room can become your own personal home gym. In many cases, you do not need fancy overpriced products but simple inexpensive items (such as dumbbells, jump rope, stability balls, yoga mat for stretching) that are convenient to your schedule and easily used on a daily basis at home.

Bottom line: You do not have to be a gym member to be healthy. Being healthy is about being consistent with you exercise, having a well balanced diet and doing the small things (taking the stairs, parking further away and walking, cooking at home, etc) that all add up to a overall healthy lifestyle.

If you are unsure what fitness products you require, or what kind of home workouts you can perform,  please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to assist you. Good Luck!

Staying healthy involves more than trips to the gym. Lifestyle changes can be beneficial to your health as well. As mentioned in the NASM answer taking the stairs and parking farther away to promote walking are good starts. Another contribution to being healthy is diet - make sure that your diet includes plenty of fruits and vegetables and try to limit fast food. Drinking water is a great way to stay heatlhy and can help with contolling hunger and improving overall energy levels. Talk to your doctor or a registered dietician if you have specific questions about your dietary needs.

If you are looking to workout without belonging to a gym, there are plenty of bodyweight exercises that would allow you to stay in good health. Examples include pushups, planks, squats, and lunges. If basic body weight exercises become too easy, there are different ways to increase the difficulty. For example, for pushups you can raise your feet using a step or bench. Adjustable dumbbells would be another cost-effective option and allow for a wide variety of exercises if you are looking to add another element of challenge to your workout.
Going to the gym is definitely not a requirement of exercising.  I would recommend trying to find small pieces of time during each day where you can incorporate exercise activities.  During your lunch break consider taking a walk.  Take the stairs instead of the elevator when possible.  Keep a set of hand weights at your desk or near the couch and become familiar with a few exercises you can do while sitting, standing or even talking on the phone.  Every positive change counts and you might be surprised at how much activity you can squeeze in when you make the effort without without ever setting foot in a gym.  Don't forget to check with your doctor before beginning any exercise program.
Cardio and resistance training do not have to occur in any particular setting. Yes, it is nice to have high-tech equipment to work with and an eight thousand dollar treadmill to track your heart rate, tell you speed up or slow down, and make you feel like you are trudging through the Rocky Mountains. However, your body does not care whether you are on the machine or just taking the stairs instead of using the elevator at work. Anything that increases the heart rate will serve as cardio activity. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention suggests individuals get at least two hours and thirty minutes of cardiorespiratory exercise per week. This does not mean it has to be done all at one time or in any particular fashion. If your time is limited, try parking the car further away from your destination, using stairs when available, taking an extra lap at the grocery store, or even wrestle with your kids. If you do get try a gym or health club, have a personal trainer show you a circuit training routine. Circuit training is great for anyone who needs a good workout in a limited in time frame. With thirty minutes you could easily complete a total-body workout with three sets of ten to fifteen repetitions. Try to minimize your rest periods to get your keep your heart rate up as you are working the muscles.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.