I don’t have any more time to workout. How can I make a change?

Consider making time to simply "move more" rather than "workout"? Focus on what you CAN do with the time that you have and you will find opportunities. We all have the same amount of time in a day, right? Every small step taken in the direction of improved health through increased activity and good nutrition makes a difference. We don't have to go from a state of not working out at all to suddenly feeling we have to find 1 to 2 hours to work out each day. You CAN do this! Keep it simple, do your best each day and start now. It all starts with our mindset. Think: “What CAN I do (change) to “move more” (increase my activity) today?”

Usually, a lack control over our daily routine is what prevents us from finding time to exercise and be healthier.  I understand we all have families, friends, careers, and a plethora of other things that take our attention away from health and fitness.  However, you must accept that in order to be good for all the other aspects of your life, you need to be good for yourself first.

For a small $10-$15 investment, you can get more control over your daily routine. For one week, write down everything you do, no matter how small or insignificant…and no matter how silly it seems because once you see everything you do (cooking, work, driving the kids around, or time wasted) you will probably see that you have more time for exercise than you realized. Then the following week incorporate bouts of exercise where you found gaps in your schedule that you can use for workouts.

For example, 30 minutes a day of walking can make an impact on your health.  So consider, walking 10 minutes in the morning before work, walk 10 minutes at lunch, and complete your 30 minutes with a 10 minute walk after dinner. For your convenience, you can keep track of your total minutes of exercise in you planner.

I assure you once you try using a daily planner you will see you are more productive, accountable, and have the control over your daily schedule to find time for exercise. Remember time is our most precious commodity, spend it wisely, because once it is gone you cannot get it back. Good Luck!

Time is the #1 barrier to exercise. One of the most helpful pieces of advice is to figure out how to add exercise into your pre-existing day. For example, park a few more blocks from your office, take the stairs instead of the elevator, add physical activity into your family time and try using 15 minutes of your lunch time to get outside and take a walk.

Buy a pedometer and measure your steps.  You’d be surprised at how much this little device brings out your competitive side.  Set gradual goals to increase your steps.  All needed for exercise is ten minutes twice a day. We start our mornings off with 10 minutes of exercise and end our days with another 10 minutes. It makes you more productive, so use that as incentive every time the devil on your shoulder tries to convince you to do something else with your time. 

The other great way to add it in to your day is to combine it with something else.  Have a conference call?  Take it on your cell phone and walk around your office or the block while you’re on the phone.  Have plans to hang out with friends?  Go for a walk to get the coffee.  Need to run errands after work?  Park father away, get off the bus/subway a stop early, do leg lifts in line, and maybe even do a few more laps around the store.  You’ll find incorporating a little more activity is easier than you think!

Lack of time plaques everyone, even myself, but finding the time is key. Like a nutritionist or your doctor will ask you to create a food journal to take control of your dietary habits, a life coach will ask that you create a journal from the amount of sleep you get every night to the amount of time you spend chatting on the phone, or emails, facebook, watching TV and everything in between.

If you are having a difficult time finding the time it is recommended that the first thing you do is work out in the morning. Working out first thing in the AM has many benefits, including but not limited to:

1. It's done, your day is now yours to do with it what you wish.

2. Many studies have shown that working out in the morning revs up your metabolism and helps you burn calories throughout the day.

3. Working out in the AM makes a positive impact on your mood and energy levels.

Most people resist the AM workout saying it's too early, but after about 2-3 weeks of early morning workouts, you will find it easier and will look forward to that alarm clock buzzing every day!

You may want to try breaking it up throughout the day. You may only have 15 minutes in the morning to do a fitness DVD, 15 minutes at lunch to take a brisk walk, and maybe go for a short jog or walk your dog in the evening. This all adds up and counts! Anything is certainly better than nothing.

Do you have time to brush your teeth? I hope so.  Exercising is the same-it is a necessity that you do it. I live in NYC and everyone is trying to maximize their days, so that is why I specialize in short workouts, yes SHORT!  Most people don't have 45+ minutes to get to the gym. That is why all my workouts are under 20 minutes, some as short as 5 minutes. Check them out free on my profile.  Making little healthy changes each day creates momentum in the right direction. You have time to read this don't you? Then you have time to give me 20 push ups.  Next time you meet a friend make it exercise related, you both will feel better for it. Your time is what YOU make of it.  You deserve to be in the best shape of your life. 

If your office space allows for it, use a stability ball in place of an office chair. As well as promoting better balance and posture, the stability ball will allow you to do multiple exercises throughout the day simply, while still at your desk. Do ball squats by lightly bouncing without fully sitting back down on the ball. Take a break each hour to do 10-12 stability ball crunches. If space allows, strengthen your core and arms by doing stability ball ploughs. Even simple stretches like the stability ball adductor stretch - straddling the ball with one leg extended and the other knee slightly bent, while gently shifting your weight from side to side - will greatly improve your flexibility and range of movement.

Keep 3-5 lb. free weights in your desk and take them out throughout the day to do 10-12 bicep curls, and to work out your triceps.

Either in your office or just outside, do 25 jumping jacks 3 times a day.

By taking 5 minutes every hour, while on the phone or at your computer, you can fit 40 minutes of exercise into an 8 hour workday.

Time is always the biggest hurdle for most people about working out.  However if you really look at your schedule everyone has time to workout.  Like everything else you just have to do a little time managing.  Most people make the time to go out with friends, watch their tv shows or even chat on the phone or internet.  It only takes 3 days a week and 20-30 minutes at a time to make a difference. 
If your food intake is adequate and realistic, and you do not have more free time to workout, you must find a way to burn more calories during your normal daily activities. Did you know that standing and pacing during the day will help you burn twice as many calories as sitting? Next time you are a conference call, put the phone on speaker and get up and move around. Here are some more ideas that can help increase your daily movement. Instead of using the intercom or email to cmmunicate with the office staff, get up and visit them. Get to work a few minutes early, and park farther away. Before you go inside the office, take a lap of the building (or portion of it if it is a big place). Use the stairs instead of an elevator whenever possible. Take a couple of 10-minute breaks (save some of your lunch hour if needed) to get some walking in. Grab a friend and go for a walk while eating your lunch. Find any excuse to get up and move rather than sit still. Simply being aware and consciously seeking out movement can lead to a significant increase in calorie burn. How much? It is not uncommon to burn an additional 200-300 calories by utilizing the methods suggested above. That is worth 30-40 minutes of cardio training.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.