How can I use my heart rate for a more efficient workout?

Here are the basics you need to know about using your heart rate for a more efficient workout.

Determine your maximum heart rate. This is 220 minus your age, so it would be 190 (220-30) for a 30-year-old, and 180 (220-40) for a 40-year-old.

Know the different intensity levels and what fits your goal. Following are three heart-rate zones (as percentages of your maximum heart rate) that you can aim for:
  • Warm-up: 61 to 70 percent of your maximum heart rate. Get your cardio system ready for takeoff.
  • Fat burn: 71 to 83 percent of your maximum heart rate. This zone should make up one-third to one-half of an hour-long workout.
  • Metabolism boost: 84 to 91 percent of your maximum heart rate. Spending time in this zone, for a total of about 12 to 20 minutes, creates an afterburn effect, increasing metabolism and burning extra calories for a period of up to 36 hours.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.