How can strength training benefit me?

Attention cardio bunnies and treadmill junkies: don’t neglect strength training if you want the benefit of a slimmer midsection. According to Epidemiologist at Harvard, men who engaged in strength training kept their body fat percentage lower than men who exercised doing cardio only. The men, aged 40-75, maintained a tighter waist circumference when doing resistance exercise for 20 minutes a day compared to those who engaged in 30 minutes of aerobic activity.

The researchers stress that aerobic training still confers tremendous cardiovascular benefits, so the lesson here is to do both types of training as part of your overall exercise program.

Dr. Kelly Traver
Internist

Strength training can benefit everyone. Through strength training, not only can you improve your ability to function throughout the day, you can also decrease your risk of lower back pain, osteoporosis, hypertension, and diabetes. By performing resistance exercises, you can strengthen your ligaments and tendons and enhance regions of your brain that are responsible for coordination, balance, and general movement skills.

Strength training can benefit you by making your muscles stronger. This means they can keep going for longer without getting tired. Strong muscles protect your joints, so you'll be less likely to get injuries. Exercises that use different muscles are push-ups and tug of war, which build strong arms, and running and biking, which build strong legs. 

Jonathan Penney
Fitness Specialist

The first focus is what is your goal? Are you looking to build muscle from strength training? Are you looking to lose weight? 

Strength training will assist in any goal you may have. If you are looking to lose weight then you are in luck! Strength training will increase your lean muscle mass which will increase your metabolism and help aid in weight loss.  Looking to prevent a decrease in bone density? Hope so! Strength training will assist in keep strong bone density.

Incorporating strength training into your current exercise routine will truly be beneficial. Let me know your specific goal and I would be glad to help you develop a tremendous program!

Strength training is the process of building and maintaining muscles in the body by using progressively heavier weights (or resistance). It is also called resistance training, weight lifting, toning, and body building. 

Strength training is very important for maintaining muscle mass throughout your lifetime. Muscle is metabolically active, which means it does the work of creating energy for your body by burning the calories you eat from food. When you maintain and build muscle, you are letting your body do some of the hard work of maintaining your weight.

Strength training provides many benefits and should not be overlooked as part of your exercise program:

• Strength training increases the size and strength of muscles. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. So, strength training is an important part of weight maintenance and weight loss.
  • Strength training helps strengthen tendons, ligaments, and bones. This helps prevent injury during activities of daily living or physical activities.
  • As we get older, muscle size and strength decline. But strength training exercises can rebuild and preserve muscles.
  • Strength training also helps improves balance.
  • Strength training can have a positive impact on your appearance.

Remember to discuss any exercise program with your physician or a qualified health professional before you begin. Your physician can give you recommendations that are appropriate based on your age, activity level, health history, current fitness level, and physical fitness goals.

There are many benefits to weight training for everyone. Weight training helps you decrease your chances of osteoporosis as you get older, increase your metabolism and helps you prevent injury. So in all strength training provides many benefits for all people to help improve their lives.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
What types of exercises can I do if I want to get in shape?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Exercises to get in shape are generally grouped into three categories depending on the effect they h...
How do I perform a single leg shoulder press with both arms?
Stand on one leg with your foot pointed straight ahead and knee slightly bent.  Hold dumbbells, one ...
Why Is Stretching Important?
Why Is Stretching Important?