How do I perform a high-intensity workout?

To take your training up a notch, all you need is one of these: bike, stationary bike, stair-climber, elliptical trainer, treadmill, step, heavy bag, pool, jump rope, or walking or jogging shoes. Warm up for five minutes before each high-intensity workout. Cool down and stretch for five minutes after you complete your workout.

Day 1: Interval Training -- Complete 30 seconds at 80% of your maximum heart rate (max HR) followed by 30 seconds of recovery. Allow your heart rate to drop to about 120 beats per minute for your recovery intervals. Keep moving for a total of 30 minutes.

Day 2: Recovery Workout -- Pedal, walk or step at a steady pace. Make sure that your heart rate remains between 60% and 70% of your max HR during the entire 30-minute workout.

Day 3: Tempo Training -- Kick your intensity up to between 70% and 80% of your max HR. Do your best to train at this intensity for 30 minutes. Slow down if you feel uncomfortable.

Day 4: Recovery Workout -- Pedal, walk, or step at a steady pace. Be sure that your heart rate remains between 60% and 70% of your max HR for the entire 30 minutes.

Day 5: Strength Day -- Increase the resistance on your stationary bike or do hills on a treadmill. Keep your intensity from 70%-80% of your max HR.

Days 6 and 7: Active Rest -- Relax and enjoy your time off. You'll need to recharge your batteries for another five-day exercise cycle next week.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
What is the "sword workout"?
There are many forms of martial arts. In this video, Dr. Oz and fitness expert Ilaria Montagnani...
What are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Here are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy physical activity: LightSlow walkingCooking ...
How Can I Get Back Into My Exercise Routine?