How do I perform a single leg shoulder flexion with alternating arms?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
When performing a single leg, alternating arm standing shoulder flexion exercise, you want to first select a weight. Because your shoulder complex is made up of small muscles that stabilize this mobile joint, you want to keep the weight somewhat light to avoid stress on the joint. Next, stand on one leg making sure that your foot is pointed forward, your glutes are squeezed and your abs are drawn-in. Be sure that your other foot that is off the ground remains close -but not touching- the other leg you are standing on. With a dumbbell in each hand, begin with your arms by your sides. Keeping your elbow straight, raise one arm in front of your body to shoulder level and pause. Lower your arm to the starting position and repeat on the other side. Continue to alternate arms for the desired number of repetitions.

Stand on one leg with your foot pointed straight ahead and your knee slightly bent.  Draw-in your navel and hold a dumbbell in each hand, with your arms hanging at the side of your body.  Keeping your elbows straight, raise one arm in front of your body to shoulder level.  Hold the top position and then lower your arm back down to the side of your body.  Repeat with the opposite arm.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I foam roll my outer thigh?
Lie on your side with the foam roll placed under your hip.  Cross your top leg over the leg on the f...
How do I perform a standing biceps curl?
Before you start, warm up your muscles with 5 to 10 minutes of brisk walking, slow jogging or gentle...
How Do I Perform a 1-Hand Medicine Ball Push-Up?