How do I perform a standing cable extension alternate arms?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
When performing a standing, alternating-arm cable extension exercise you want to first select the amount of weight on the cable machine that you want to use. Next, stand with your feet hip-width apart and pointed straight ahead.  Be sure to draw in your belly button and keep your neck relaxed. With arms fully extended, hold the handles in each hand and start with them in front of your body, around eye level.  From this position, while keeping both arms straight, bring one hand to the side of your body, squeezing shoulder blades together and making sure your shoulders remain in a down and back position.  Pause, return to the starting position and then repeat on the other side. Perform this exercise for the desired number of repetitions and sets on each side.

Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead with your knees slightly bent.  Grab a cable in each hand with your arms extended in front of your body at eye level.  Keep your arms straight and bring one extended arm to the side of your body, contracting shoulder blades together.  Hold the end position and then return your extended arm to the starting position.  Repeat with the opposite arm.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
What are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Here are some examples of light, moderate, and heavy physical activity: LightSlow walkingCooking ...
How do I perform a seated alternate arm shoulder fly?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
When performing a seated alternating arm shoulder fly exercise, you want to first select a weight. B...
How Can I Exercise If I Don’t Like the Gym?