How do I perform a barbell clean?

Begin with placing your feet shoulder-width apart and keep your feet flat on the ground.  Grasp a barbell slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.  Squat down next to the bar, keeping your feet flat on the floor and arms fully extended.  Position your shoulders over the bar and establish a flat back posture.  Begin with the first pull by extending your knees and lift the bar straight up.  Keep your elbows fully extended with the bar kept close to your body.  Scoop the bar by thrusting your hips forward and continue pulling the bar until your knees are under the bar.  Your torso should be close to vertical and erect.  Perform the second pull by brushing the bar against your mid to upper thigh.  Move the bar upwards by explosively extending your hips, knees and ankles with a jumping motion.  At maximum extension, elevate your shoulders, flex and pull with your arms, pulling the bar as high as possible keeping your wrist over the bar.  Lastly, catch the bar as your rotate your elbows under the bar.  Hyperextend your wrists as your elbows move under the bar.  Point your elbows forward, rack the bar against the front of your shoulders and keep your torso erect.  Flex your hips and knees to absorb the weight of the bar.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How should I exercise if I am middle-aged?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Doing more than 200 minutes of vigorous exercise per week will help protect your arteries, especiall...
How do I perform a bent knee wall stretch?
Facing a wall, stand with your feet pointed straight ahead, placed in a staggered stance.  Lean agai...
To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?