How do I perform a deadlift?

Deadlifts target the legs. To do a deadlift, place a barbell loaded with the appropriate amount of weight for you on the floor. Keeping the natural curve in your lower back, squat down and grasp the barbell with both hands. (You can place both hands over the bar or do a mixed grip with one hand under.) Pressing through your heels, drive the weight up by straightening your legs and rising to a standing position, using the power of your thighs. Maintain the curve of your lower back during the entire move. Reverse the motion to return the weight to the floor.
Wendy Batts
Fitness
Begin by standing with your feet hip-width apart, pointed straight ahead, knees slightly bent and abs drawn-in. Place a barbell (or dumbbells) in front of you on the ground. Bend at your waist and grab the barbell slightly wider than shoulder-width. While keeping your back flat, squeeze your glutes and lift the barbell up until you are standing in a fully upright position. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.

Stand facing a barbell with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart.  Squat and grab the barbell with your hands positioned slightly wider than shoulder width apart.  Contract your glutes, drive through your heels and lift the barbell with your arms straight until you are fully upright.  Return to the starting position.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a kettlebell swing?
Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleMemorial Hospital Jacksonville
The kettlebell swing is a great total body workout. Watch James Wiggins, of Memorial Hospital Jackso...
How do I perform single leg shoulder flexion with both arms?
Stand on one leg with your foot pointed straight ahead and your knee slightly bent.  Draw-in your na...
What Are Simple Balancing Exercises That I Can Practice From Day to Day?