How can I exercise effectively?

There has been a lot of research into exercise, as obesity has become such an epidemic in the US. What we know is that any physical activity you do on a regular basis is better than sitting on the couch and eating a bag of potato chips. The current recommendations are 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week, with the best results if you keep your heart rate between 60-80% of your maximal heart rate, calculated by subtracting your age from 220.

To exercise effectively, be prepared for each training session. Minimize chatting to others, and complete what needs to be done. Time your rest periods properly, and complete your repetitions with intent; don’t just go through the motions.

Well one of the main ways to exercise efficiently is to hold yourself accountable of what you have to do.  There are too many people that want to exercise and get the most out of their exercise but find many excuses why not to exercise.  What you want to do is make it a habit like brushing teeth.  Second is having a game plan of what you need to do for your exercise plan.  If you have questions about this always see your personal trainer to point you in the right direction.  Once you have a schedule of working out, a game plan of what you want to achieve and track your progress along the way you will achieve what you are looking for.  Just remember to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight, at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular training and weight training at least 3 times per week.

The best way to exercise effectively is to work with an Elite trainer on Sharecare to design an individualize fitness program together for one to follow, and use a heart rate monitor while exercising to make sure the cardio system is being challenged at specific heart rate zones that will maximize fat loss. 

Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
As a clinical exercise physiologist, one of the things that I love about my industry is that there are published established guidelines one can refer to as far as learning how to exercise effectively. 

What's wonderful is that the guidelines are all based upon science so there is no guess work involved.

I've attached the link to guidelines the United States Federal Government has published to get you started.

All the best to you!

http://www.health.gov/PAGuidelines/

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.