Is it OK to hold my breath while working out?

Holding your breath, also known as a valsalva maneuver, could be potentially dangerous if performed in wrong situations. A valsalva maneuver is defined as the forceful exhalation (expiration) against a closed airway such as coughing, sneezing, straining during a bowel movement, or weight lifting. The contraction of the abdominal and thoracic muscles during the valsalva maneuver increase the pressure within your chest, raising the blood pressure, and dangerously impeding blood from returning to the heart. If performed regularly it may cause damage to the blood vessels, heart, and even the brain (possible stroke risk). To avoid performing this maneuver, be sure to breathe out with forceful exertion of any activity.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
How do I perform a single leg medicine ball toss?
Standing on one leg keeping your knee slightly bent.  Stand facing a wall holding a medicine ball at...
How do I perform a ball chest press with 1 arm?
Lie on top of a stability ball, with the ball positioned between your shoulder blades.  Maintain a b...
How Can I Exercise If I Don’t Like the Gym?