Does altitude affect my fitness program?

From personal experience, training in altitude is a big time challenge. Your heart has to work overtime to keep blood moving in altitude and can put a tremendous amount of stress on your body. Depending on your starting level of fitness, I might stay away from training in altitude until I have a solid fitness foundation to work from.
Yes, exercising or training in higher altitudes will affect your fitness program if you are not accustomed to that type of environment. Being at higher elevations means the air is thinner, drier, and cooler. Your heart will have to pump harder to keep up with it's energy demands, your circulatory system will have to adapt to the change in elevation, and you will also need to be conscious of your hydration, make sure you increase your intake while working out. Don't be disheartened if you do not train at the same level of intensity while in this environment. Take it slow and adapt gradually to avoid any potential health hazards.
High altitudes can definitely have an affect on your fitness program, especially aerobic exercise.  When exercising at high altitudes, your heart has to work harder in order to keep up with the added energy demands.  People who are not used to working out, or have pre-exiting heart conditions are at higher risk.  Since the air is usually drier at higher elevations, you’ll need to increase your water consumption before, during and after working out.
Altitude has a definite affect on a fitness program.  The human body has an uncanny ability to adjust to its current environment.  When placed in higher altitudes the human body will need an adjustment period to stabilize to the drier climate (less water in the atmosphere) and the thinner oxygen levels.  The adjustment period will directly correspond to the individuals current fitness level. 
Mark Levine
Fitness

I believe attitude plays a huge part in a fitness program. People with a good attitude tend to achieve more out of their fitness program than someone with a negative attitude. I always tell people that "Can't" is a four letter word. When someone says they can't do something, I always ask them how many times have they tried and not succeeded. Once they realize they have never attempted the feat, they usually try and are able to do it.

So, if you open your mind and release the negative thoughts, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.

JC Pinzon
Fitness
Yes it does. The thin air has less oxygen and the circulatory system has to adapt to these changes. A fitness program must have into consideration these changes and slowly build it up to a desired level. Acclimatization to the environmental changes in altitude and pressure will occur over time depending on your fitness status. Usually a couple of days or more is enough to get used to is what it takes.

Some of the immediate effects of exposure to high altitude are increased breathing rate, increased heart rate, nausea, headache, sleeplessness and decrease in VO2 max. For every 300 metres above 1000 metres VO2max decreases by approximately 2.6%. The total effect of these adjustments is a reduction of work capacity.

VO2max is the maximum amount of oxygen in milliliters, one can use in one minute per kilogram of body weight. Those who are fit have higher VO2max values and can exercise more intensely than those who are not as conditioned. Some studies show that you can increase your VO2max by working out at an intensity that raises your heart rate to between 65 and 85% of its maximum for at least 20 minutes three to five times a week. A mean value of VO2max

Yes, high altitudes can have an affect on your fitness program if you are unaccustomed to them. When training at high altitudes, your heart has to pump harder in order to keep up with the demands for energy. This can be dangerous to deconditioned individuals or the for those people who have pre-existing heart conditions.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.