How do I incorporate body weight exercises into power training?

Body weight exercises, particularly power exercises for the lower extremity, are very easy to add into your power workouts. Example bodyweight exercises that can be used include squat jumps, butt kicks, power step ups, and box jumps. These exercises are easy to perform in any environment, but it is important that one develops ample amounts of stability and strength before incorporating these exercises into your program.

Power training focuses on speed or direction changes in movement throughout a full range of motion. It is explosive, maximal acceleration from start to finish. You can easily incorporate body weight exercises into your workout. In this stage of training you are using a weight 30-45% of your one rep max for each muscle group or 10% of you body weight. So plyometric pushups, pull-ups, jump squats, lunges, ice skater, etc are great power exercises or super setting between a strength and body weight exercises as long as your tempo is x-x-x (just as fast as you can do your reps).

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans Urged to Move More, Sit Less
Americans need to move more and sit less. That’s been the clear-cut message from government health officials since they issued physical activity guide...
What are the advantages of exercising outdoors?
Outdoor, or "green," exercise has appealing advantages: It's often cheaper and easier than a gym or ...
How is a standing shoulder flexion with one arm performed?
Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart. Draw-in your navel and...
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?
How Can I Prevent Spraining My Ankles?