Why do I get pain on the inside of my foot when I increase my training?

Brian Yee
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

Pain that occurs on the inside of the foot when increasing your training is usually due abnormal forces placed upon it. This can occur with the foot either pronating too much (going flat) or the foot loading to the ball of it excessively.

Either way, increased stress is placed along the arch and pain can occur there.

Training then should be modified not to allow the arch to collapse or load to the front of the foot excessively. Small tips would include - putting more equal weight through the heel and ball of the foot, watching you knee angle so that it does not go into valgus (turning in) as that place more stress on the arch, and training hip stability primarily in the gluteal muscles as opposed to the calf and quad musculature.

There are many factors that can cause arch pain. Arch pain may be caused by ramping up training too quickly, poor footwear or running surface, foot arches that are too high or too flat, and/or limited flexibility. Medial arch pain can be a sign of plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the tissue that spans the bottom of the foot. Take measures to control pain, so it does not turn into a chronic problem. Before resuming your training program, address the cause of your symptoms (decrease training intensity, check your form, make sure you have appropriate footwear, etc.). If pain is severe or persists, consult a health care professional.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.