Who can I ask about the aches and pains I experience when working out?

Wendy Batts
When it comes to addressing aches and pains, you should always check with your health care provider first. If they recommend rest and restarting your exercise program slowly and progressively, seek out the help of a qualified fitness professional. They should be able to perform movement assessments that will identify patterns that your body may slip into that can lead to these aches and pains when working out. This professional will also be able to recommend flexibility strategies and strengthening exercises which will help correct improper movement patterns and insure proper form when working out.

It is normal to feel some discomfort during exercise; however, pain should not be tolerated. Schedule an appointment to see your doctor if you are experiencing any pain during exercise. Your doctor may need to refer you to a physical therapist or another licensed professional. Also, it is important that you have clearance from your physician before resuming your training regimen. Once you have been cleared to start your fitness program again, it is recommended that you only engage in resistance training 3 to 5 days per week with lighter weight and slower progressions.

Continue Learning about Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Types Of Exercise

Exercise provides many health benefits - from fitness to increased physical and mental energy. In order to prepare yourself for a exercise routine, you need to research which exercise is right for you and how to fit a new exercise ...

e program into your daily schedule.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.