What are some procedures for tubal sterilization?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Several different procedures are available for tubal sterilization. All are intended to be permanent. If the procedure is performed within a week of delivery, it is usually done through a small incision in the abdomen (mini-laparotomy). The tubes are tied with sutures and a small piece of each tube is removed.

Laparoscopy techniques are used when sterilization is performed long after pregnancy. The tubes are blocked by cauterizing them with an electric current or blocking them with small plastic clamps.

A newer procedure (Essure) blocks the tubes from inside the uterus by placing a wire coil within each tube.

Clamping causes the least amount of damage to the tubes and has the highest rate of successful reversal.

When other techniques have been used and pregnancy is later desired, in vitro fertilization (IVF) may be recommended as a better alternative than trying to reverse the tubal sterilization.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

What are the pros and cons of getting my tubes tied?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
The up side? No worries about unplanned pregnancies, no hormonal changes, no incisions, no general a...
What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...
How can I become pregnant if I have had tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
If you have had tubal ligation but want to become pregnant, the two options available are in vitro f...
How much does it cost to reverse a tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The cost of a tubal reversal procedure varies according to practice location, hospital, and health i...