What factors affect the success of a tubal ligation reversal surgery?

The success of the surgical reconstruction of the fallopian tubes depends on how the tubes were originally ligated. If the tubes were ligated using electrical energy (bipolar or monopolar electrical ligation) there may be little functional tube remaining and the surgical reconstruction may not be successful. If the tubes were ligated using a suturing method (modified Pomeroy tubal ligation) or a banding method (Falope ring), it is likely that a sufficient length of tube remains and that the reconstruction could be successful. Obtaining the original operative note from the tubal ligation procedure is an important first step.

Continue Learning about Tubal Ligation

What is tubal ligation?
Marina JohnsonMarina Johnson
The euphemistic term “tying your tubes,” actually means the tubes are surgically and permanently sev...
What are some procedures for tubal sterilization?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Several different procedures are available for tubal sterilization. All are intended to be permanent...
How much does it cost to reverse a tubal ligation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The cost of a tubal reversal procedure varies according to practice location, hospital, and health i...
Did having my tubes tied steal my libido?
Barring any complications from surgery, tubal ligation should not diminish your sex drive. In this v...