What are the treatment options for neonatal lupus?

There is currently no cure for neonatal lupus. However, in most cases (and it is already a rare condition), all symptoms disappear within several months of birth. The only lingering problem tends to be the small percentage of children who develop congenital heart block, a serious condition that damages how the heart works.

As neonatal lupus only occurs in infants and usually resolves after a few months, most of the treatments for other types of lupus are not applicable. If your child has the rash associated with neonatal lupus, you should protect their skin from the sun as much as possible by using sunscreen and protective clothing. Babies who have congenital heart block may need a pacemaker in order to make their heart work properly.

Continue Learning about Lupus Treatment

Is there a cure for lupus?
Today, there is no known cure for lupus. Doctors believe the disease is tied to genetics and trigger...
How do I manage my lupus on a daily basis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you have lupus, you should learn more about the disease and the factors that cause it to flare up...
What happens if my kidneys fail due to lupus?
If you have lupus and your kidneys fail, you can be treated with dialysis or a kidney transplant. Pe...
How do medications treat cutaneous lupus erythematosus?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Because cutaneous lupus erythematosus causes inflammation of the skin, medications used to treat the...