How do I manage my lupus on a daily basis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

You can manage your lupus on a daily basis by making certain changes in your lifestyle. These changes include allowing ample time for naps and sleep, limiting sun exposure, exercising, and eating well. Learn all you can about lupus so that you know what you are dealing with. Try to meet other people who have lupus and gather a support system of your family and friends. Lupus increases your risk of depression and stress, so be sure to relax and take solace in the company of friends.

If you have lupus, you should learn more about the disease and the factors that cause it to flare up. One of these factors is sun exposure. You should avoid outdoor activities between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you must go out, you should wear strong sunscreens, wide-brimmed hats and long-sleeved shirts. You need to follow your doctor's orders carefully and take your medicines as directed.

Tiredness also can cause the disease to flare up. You should plan your physical activities and schedule rest periods. Planned exercise is helpful.

Chronic illness also requires understanding and support from family members. When the disease is active, people with lupus may have decreased ability to handle household or job-related tasks. The ability to be flexible will go a long way toward learning to live with lupus.

Continue Learning about Lupus Treatment

How is lupus treated?
Symptoms of lupus include joint pain and swelling and also may include swelling of the tissues aroun...
What is the treatment for lupus in children?
There is no cure for lupus, but there are ways to manage it and make your child’s life more producti...
What are the treatment options for lupus fog?
Unfortunately, there's no absolute cure for lupus fog. It is a side effect of having lupus or lupus ...
What happens if my kidneys fail due to lupus?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you have lupus and your kidneys fail, you can be treated with dialysis or a kidney transplant. Pe...