What are some aggressive treatments for lupus?

When you suffer from severe forms of lupus, your doctor may recommend aggressive treatment. Aggressive treatments for lupus include high doses of corticosteroids, despite its harmful side effects. Your doctor might also recommend drugs that suppress the immune system so that your body stops producing the antibodies that attack good tissue. This treatment also has the potential to be dangerous, as it makes you susceptible to many illnesses.

There are also potential lupus treatments that are still in the clinical trial phase, including belimumab, stem cell transplants, DHEA, and rituximab.

Continue Learning about Lupus Treatment

How is lupus treated?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Lupus is treated with drugs that block your body's immune system. Some of these are prednisone, azat...
What are the treatment options for lupus fog?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Unfortunately, there's no absolute cure for lupus fog. It is a side effect of having lupus or lupus ...
How do I manage my lupus on a daily basis?
If you have lupus, you should learn more about the disease and the factors that cause it to flare up...
What are the treatment options for lupus?
Just as the symptoms and severity of lupus varies from person to person, so do the treatment options...