How much oxygen do I need if I have a lung disease?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Your doctor will prescribe the appropriate amount of oxygen for you to use based upon the results of your Arterial Blood Gases (ABG) and pulse oximetry tests. You may require a higher dose when exercising or performing difficult activities than when you are at rest or sleeping. Typically a prescription will be between 1-6 l/m of oxygen by flow meter.

Continue Learning about Treatment Of Breathing Disorders

How is shortness of breath (dyspnea) treated?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Treatment of dyspnea (shortness of breath) is determined by its cause. Once the cause of dyspnea...
How do nasal strips interact with other medications or food?
Nasal strips are devices used to improve air flow through your nasal passages. As such, there is lit...
Are all breathing disorders treated with an inhaler?
Not all breathing disorders are treated with an inhaler. An inhaler might be necessary for chronic o...
Exercise Tips for People With COPD and Asthma