How is shortness of breath (dyspnea) treated?

Treatment of dyspnea (shortness of breath) is determined by its cause. Once the cause of dyspnea is determined, patients can then be treated by the specialist most suitable for their particular condition. Treatment often includes medical therapies that can greatly reduce symptoms. In some cases, surgery may be used to treat underlying causes of dyspnea.

Continue Learning about Treatment Of Breathing Disorders

How should I do coughing exercises after thoracic surgery?
Francis X. Downey, MDFrancis X. Downey, MD
Follow these instructions on how to do coughing exercises at home after thoracic surgery. 1. Take ...
How much oxygen do I need if I have a lung disease?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Your doctor will prescribe the appropriate amount of oxygen for you to use based upon the results of...
How is video-assisted thoracic surgery used for a collapsed lung?
Video-assisted thoracic surgery affords better visualization of the entire lung surface in patie...
Exercise Tips for People With COPD and Asthma