How should I care for my incision after thoracic surgery?

Francis X. Downey, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Follow these general incision care instructions at home to avoid complications and to allow for a speedy recovery after thoracic surgery:
  • Keep your incision clean and dry.
  • You can shower immediately after surgery. Wash your incisions with soap and water, and pat dry.
  • No baths or swimming for two weeks after the chest tube is removed.
  • No dressing is required over the chest tube site unless there is drainage. If a dressing is required, change it daily or as needed. Discontinue the dressing once the drainage stops. If a suture is left at the chest tube site, it will be removed at your next doctor visit (10 to 14 days after your discharge from the hospital).

Continue Learning about Treatment Of Breathing Disorders

What should I know about nasal strips before using them?
Nasal strips are adhesive bandages that attach to the outside of your nose in order to open your nas...
How is video-assisted thoracic surgery used for a collapsed lung?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Video-assisted thoracic surgery affords better visualization of the entire lung surface in patie...
Who should not use nasal strips?
Nasal strips should not be used by children five years of age or younger. Also, if you have a latex ...
Exercise Tips for People With COPD and Asthma