How should I do breathing exercises after thoracic surgery?

Breathing exercises after thoracic surgery are usually done with incentive spirometry. It’s sucking in, not blowing out. There’s a little caliper to show you how hard you’re sucking in. You need to continue to maintain that number or make it bigger. It’s not a speed thing, it’s more about endurance. You need to be taking big, deep inhalations. You should see that number getting bigger every day.

Dr. Daniel P. O'Hair, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

Breathing exercises are important to help expand your lungs after thoracic surgery. Inhale slowly through your nose and then slowly blow out as much air as you can through your mouth.

1. Place your hands on your lower rib cage and feel your lower ribs expand as you inhale and then sink as you exhale.
  2. Place your right hand on your right lower rib cage. Concentrate on expanding only that side when you inhale. Repeat with the left side. Do the exercise in a sitting position and lying on each side.
  3. Place your hands on your upper abdomen. Feel your waist expand as you inhale and feel your abdomen pull in as you exhale.

Continue Learning about Treatment Of Breathing Disorders

What is a respiratory therapist (RT)?
A respiratory therapist is a medical professional who cares for people who have trouble breathing no...
How much oxygen do I need if I have a lung disease?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Your doctor will prescribe the appropriate amount of oxygen for you to use based upon the results of...
What are nasal strips?
Nasal strips are adhesive bandages that you put on the outside of your nose, from one side of the br...
Exercise Tips for People With COPD and Asthma