How should I do breathing exercises after thoracic surgery?

Breathing exercises after thoracic surgery are usually done with incentive spirometry. It’s sucking in, not blowing out. There’s a little caliper to show you how hard you’re sucking in. You need to continue to maintain that number or make it bigger. It’s not a speed thing, it’s more about endurance. You need to be taking big, deep inhalations. You should see that number getting bigger every day.

Dr. Daniel P. O'Hair, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

Breathing exercises are important to help expand your lungs after thoracic surgery. Inhale slowly through your nose and then slowly blow out as much air as you can through your mouth.

1. Place your hands on your lower rib cage and feel your lower ribs expand as you inhale and then sink as you exhale.
  2. Place your right hand on your right lower rib cage. Concentrate on expanding only that side when you inhale. Repeat with the left side. Do the exercise in a sitting position and lying on each side.
  3. Place your hands on your upper abdomen. Feel your waist expand as you inhale and feel your abdomen pull in as you exhale.

Continue Learning about Treatment Of Breathing Disorders

How should I do coughing exercises after thoracic surgery?
Francis X. Downey, MDFrancis X. Downey, MD
Follow these instructions on how to do coughing exercises at home after thoracic surgery. 1. Take ...
How should I care for my incision after thoracic surgery?
Follow these general incision care instructions at home to avoid complications and to allow for a sp...
How do nasal strips interact with other medications or food?
Nasal strips are devices used to improve air flow through your nasal passages. As such, there is lit...
Exercise Tips for People With COPD and Asthma