Why is it difficult to walk and move around with a TBI?

Because traumatic brain injury (TBI) causes changes in the brain, it makes it a challenge to stand, stay balanced, and walk without feeling clumsy or uncoordinated. Not only do you have noticeable physical changes, but your muscle movement and muscle coordination have been altered, making it hard to balance and even causing you to have fears of falling.

In addition, sleep problems associated with TMI can cause you to feel drowsy during the daytime, making it more difficult to be active and do the necessary exercises to improve your strength and balance. Sensory changes that affect your vision can make you feel unsure of how to stay on a straight path when walking or moving.

Continue Learning about Traumatic Brain Injuries Complications

What kind of physical effects can I expect after a TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The long-term physical effects of a traumatic brain injury can vary greatly from one person to anoth...
How does traumatic brain injury affect consciousness?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
No matter how mild or severe, most traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) cause problems with arousal, cons...
Why did my doctor say TBI affected the left side of my brain?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The left hemisphere of your brain deals with speaking, language, and analyzing all the day-to-day in...
Could I have post traumatic stress syndrome with the TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Any traumatic or life-threatening event can lead to post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a poorly ...