What happens if traumatic brain injury affects the right side of the brain?

If TBI damages the right side of the brain, you will have right hemisphere brain damage. The brain  has two hemispheres, the left and right hemispheres. Each hemisphere controls specific bodily functions. The left hemisphere of the brain controls your language and speech centers. The right hemisphere controls all thinking skills or cognitive functioning. Damage to the right side of the brain may present problems such as impaired memory, attention deficit, altered creativity and music perception, and poor reasoning. Someone with right hemisphere damage will have difficulty with organization and problems understanding abstract concepts. In addition, an injury to the right side of the brain will result in decreased control over left-sided body movements and "left neglect," which means inattention to the left side of the body.

Continue Learning about Traumatic Brain Injuries Complications

How can I deal with loss of self-esteem with a TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Any traumatic injury can affect the way you feel about yourself. With TBI, you may have lost your jo...
Why is it difficult to walk and move around with a TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Because traumatic brain injury (TBI) causes changes in the brain, it makes it a challenge to stand, ...
Why did a traumatic brain injury affect my entire body?
Pam HaysPam Hays
The core of your being is your brain.  What happens in our bodies that is NOT controlled by our brai...
Why am I so clumsy after a traumatic brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Because traumatic brain injury damages parts of the brain, TBI can impair the functions the brain re...