How can I deal with alcohol abuse with TBI?

Alcohol is known to numb pain and emotions to some degree. However, the effects are often short-lived and you can be left with TBI-related problems as well as the complicated side effects of addiction, depression, and possibly confusion. Alcohol is a substance that requires more and more to dull the discomfort of physical and emotional pain. In addition, alcohol is a depressant that leaves the drinker in a “down” mood once the effects wear off.

Long-term use of alcohol also carries with it the danger of cognitive deficits such as memory difficulties, visual and special problems and decreased motor function. That’s not a smart trade-off if you have a brain injury that also causes similar problems. If you think you might be abusing alcohol, seek professional help. Talk with your VA doctor about the alcohol problem and follow your doctor’s recommendations.

Continue Learning about Traumatic Brain Injuries Complications

What happens if traumatic brain injury affects the right side of the brain?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If TBI damages the right side of the brain, you will have right hemisphere brain damage. The brain  ...
Is vision loss associated with traumatic brain injuries?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Vision loss on the battlefield is increasingly associated with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), parti...
Why am I so clumsy after a traumatic brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Because traumatic brain injury damages parts of the brain, TBI can impair the functions the brain re...
Why do I feel as if my personality changed with the TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Some aspects of your personality did change with traumatic brain injury (TBI). When parts of the bra...