Who treats traumatic brain and spinal injury in children?

In the more severe cases of traumatic brain and spinal injury a neurosurgeon is the first doctor involved in care. The neurosurgeon will help determine if there is life threatening swelling or bleeding in the brain or injury to the spinal cord that needs to be addressed surgically. In more mild to moderate cases, or after a neurosurgeon has cleared a patient, usually a pediatric neurologist will help treat patients with traumatic brain and spinal injury. Neurologists can help identify areas of deficit and monitor for resolution of symptoms. Neurologists can also help treat the symptoms of concussion/traumatic brain injury (TBI) including headaches, vision problems and attention problems. It is also possible a patient will need additional therapy to help with balance, focal weakness or changes in sensation which can be helped by doctors specially trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation as well as physical therapists. Lastly, if there are ongoing issues with depression or anxiety psychiatrists and psychologists can be very helpful.

Continue Learning about Traumatic Brain Injuries in Children

What should I know about children and traumatic brain injury (TBI)?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Children's developing brains can be even more susceptible to the injuries caused by concussions and ...
Can my child get a traumatic brain injury when wearing a football helmet?
Wearing helmets has been shown to reduce the risk of head injury. As an ER doctor, I've seen cases w...
What are the symptoms of traumatic brain and spinal injury in children?
Shannon E. Babineau, MDShannon E. Babineau, MD
In more serious cases of TBI, symptoms can include significant alteration or loss of consciousness a...
How Can I Tell if My Child Has a Sports-Related Concussion?