How is a transient ischemic attack (TIA) treated?

Since there is no way to differentiate between the symptoms of a transient ischemic attack (TIA) or an acute stroke, patients should assume that all stroke-like symptoms signal an emergency and should not wait to see if they go away. A prompt evaluation (within 60 minutes) is necessary to identify the cause of the TIA and determine appropriate therapy. Depending on a patient's medical history and the results of a medical examination, the doctor may recommend drug therapy or surgery to reduce the risk of stroke in people who have had a TIA. The use of antiplatelet agents, particularly aspirin, is a standard treatment for patients at risk for stroke. People with atrial fibrillation (irregular beating of the heart) may be prescribed anticoagulants.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)

How can I tell the difference between a TIA and a migraine headache?
Dr. Egilius L. Spierings, MDDr. Egilius L. Spierings, MD
A migraine attack can consist of an aura only, with no subsequent headache. This type of migraine is...
When should I seek immediate help if I've had a transient ischemic attack?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
As many as 10% to 20% of people who have a transient ischemic attack (TIA), will suffer a full-blown...
What is a mini-stroke?
Dr. Reza Jahan, MDDr. Reza Jahan, MD
A mini-stroke, also called a transient ischemic attack (TIA), is a stroke that lasts for a few secon...
When should I call my doctor if I have had a transient ischemic attack?
Having a transient ischemic attack (TIA), also called a mini-stroke or a warning stroke, raises your...