In Ayurveda, why is drinking warm or hot water recommended?

John Douillard, DC
Herbal Medicine
In Ayurveda, sipping warm or hot water every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the day is recommended because it is the best lymph-moving rehydration technique. This is important, as one of the most common causes of lymph congestion is dehydration.Water, and water alone, is the only substance that can adequately rehydrate the body. Try this hot water sipping practice religiously for one day.

If by the end of that day you have a dry mouth and feel thirsty for more hot water, this is a good indication you are dehydrated and have lymph congestion. If this is the case, try this rehydration practice: sip hot water every 10 to 15 minutes for two weeks straight. Try keeping a thermos of hot water close by, which makes it easy to practice this protocol.

In addition to sipping hot water as a lymph-moving technique, aim to drink 1/2 your ideal body weight in ounces per day for two weeks as well. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs, drink 70 ounces of water (almost 9 glasses) per day.  This will help to rehydrate the body.
Dr. Suhas Kshirsagar, MD
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
In Ayurveda, sipping warm or hot water throughout the day is recommended to help improve circulation and eliminate tissue sludge, which also helps with weight loss. Watch me explains this concept.

Continue Learning about Traditional Medicine

If I have a Vata body type, which foods are best for me to eat?
John Douillard, DCJohn Douillard, DC
Vata body types tend to be cold and dry, like winter; the antidote to that season is warm, high prot...
What is traditional herbal medicine?
Yogi Cameron AlborzianYogi Cameron Alborzian
When most of us think of medicine, we think of a pharmaceutical product we might be prescribed by ou...
How Can a Health Problem Indicate a Blocked Chakra?
How Do You Bridge the Divide Between Traditional and Modern Medicine?