What tests will help determine the future potential of a track athlete?

There are tests that can help a coach determine what events will be best for a beginning track athlete to try. Countries in Europe give their students physical tests as early as ten years old in an effort to try to identify possible future Olympic champions and put them with special coaches early on. The testing consists of a forty yard dash to determine speed, quickness, and explosiveness. The standing long jump and overhead shot put throw are tests designed to measure expolsiveness and coordination. A 600 meter run (one and a half laps) will measure the athlete's speed endurance, and the two mile run will measure the aerobic capacity of the athlete. The great athletes at all ages will always stand out during testing, and they will excel in certain areas. An athlete who excels in the 40 yard dash and standing long jump but did not test well in the two mile run will most likely be a sucessful sprinter, jumper, or hurdler with the proper coaching and training.

Continue Learning about Track & Field

What can I do to improve my fitness and conditioning for track?
Most track and field athletes get enough cardio conditioning during practice and require differe...
Should I be running while training intensely for a meet?
Running or cardio should be kept very light or performed not at all. Weightlifting is very inten...
Can visualization help in individual track and field performance?
An athlete can only accomplish a certain amount of physical repetitions during a jumping, runnin...
Is it important for throwers in track and field to be agile and flexible?
Throwers need to be agile and flexible because their success is determined by how smooth and fas...